Tuesday, July 15, 2008

LED there be light

Reactions: 
Ok... so while Shrek was dismembered I decided to do some radical surgery to the instrument cluster and add a hazard warning switch while I was about it...
Fortunately the wiring diagram has not changed much since the 1985 model, it is basically the same just that some of the stuff has been relocated on the bike.
The indicator relay is now under the instrument cluster which made it very easy to splice in a wire on the Orange output wire to feed to a DPDT switch and then feed that to the LH and RH indicator wires on the harness. Green = left and Grey = Right. I used a peice of ribbon cable... also fitted 2 plugs so that it is removable. yeah I know... looks like computer plugs... I did not have a suitable 3 pin one at hand so this will have to do till the next
farkle episode...
Then I removed the white lettering on the N and <> lamps, this was to make the Neutral the LH indicator and the <> the RH one. I found that paint brush cleaner did the trick while not being too aggressive to the plastic lens.
The indicator leads are now split, one to the old neutral lamp and one to the old <> lamp, the other ends of the lamps are now grounded on the instrument cluster ground points so that they LED's now have a ground path.
Due to the fact that the LED lamps are fitted with reverse polarity diodes you may have to orient them 180 degrees if they do not work. This also keeps the LH/RH indicator circuits isolated!
While doing this I hooked up 2 diodes and a buzzer as well to the indicator circuit... now Shrek sounds like a delivery bike... but I have less excuse to leave the indicator on now!
Then I fitted the new amber neutral LED under the speedo... using plastic steel to mount the led and resistor as well as the lead securely... the lead is then spliced on to the old neutral wires from the harness plug... the other ends became the LH indicator leads...
Once all the splicing and dicing was done I fitted the blue LED lamp to the high beam socket and the 3 HiBright LED lamps to the 3 lighting sockets. LED lamps are supposed to outlast ordinary filament globes and at the same time
they draw less current from the electrical system. Here are the pictures:
Led lighting up the unstruments...
DB25 connectors!

Splicing into the Orange indicator lead to go to the DPDT switch...

Splicing into the R/h L/h Indicator leads...

DPDT switch mounted and silicone used to waterproof and insulate the back...

The switch on the front panel...

Indicators! one for each side!

Mounting screws on the right to be loosened when un mounting the instrument cluster...

Ditto another screw on the left...

Neutral LED mounted on the front panel...

Led and resistor prior to connecting and potting with epoxy or plastic steel...

Lead fitted and the lot gobbed with plastic steel...

Filament lamp VS LED lamp, a bit bluer than the filament and not quite as bright... but I like it...

Main and indicator LED's being tested...

Another shot...

Lights before the mod...

All the plugs and leads... wiring and speedo cable loosened to remove instruments.

"Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning."
Bible, Luke xii. 35.

No comments: