Saturday, June 10, 2006

Diesel... der Vorsprung durch Technik

Lately I have been following the development of using Diesel engines in motorcycles, something that always puzzled me as to why there was a dearth of these creatures.
The problem has been a shortage of technology being applied in this field as well as no company willing to stake their life on the venture.
However I must say this is changing rapidly...
Over on
The Kneeslider you can go and see what is being done. One company I want to single out is Neander Motor in Germany... hence the clone of Audi's motto, who are also leaders in the field of auto diesel power in my opinion.
Neander Motor's double crankshaft ohc turbo charges 1.4 Litre bike engine is a work of art as the pictures show, typical Teutonic excellence...




The motorcycle this brute is going to power is a semi chopper style cruiser. Not my favourite but very impressive to say the least. Another contender is the ThunderStar 1200 from Holland as per this Gizmag article, in Superbike format. The Neander would also do well in the Quad field as it is suited for this type of frame.
What I would like is the Neander single cylinder motor in a CS650 frame,That would be cool! Pity the CS has been dropped, I loved the belt drive... Maybe I should drop BMW and Neander a note...

No comments: