Monday, February 19, 2007

Peroni, nice ad but you got your credits wrong!


Sitting watching CSI the Peroni ad came up with the song Baby It's You by the Shirelles (also covered by the Beatles by the way as well as Smith
), perusing the Italian beer maker's website I see they say it was done by the Sapphires... dead wrong dudes! I hasten to add that if they cannot get the group right thenn wat does the beer taste like? Nobody brews it like Windhoek!

I then did some Googling and affirmed my suspicions... the Sapphires never ever sang any Burt Bacharach
songs ever! Check out Songfacts for the composers and some other factoids.
The Sapphires discography proves my theory as well, The Best of the Sapphires and Who do you love were the only albums made by the trio. Sadly no Baby It's You is listed there... So there... my own Musical CSI!

Baby It's You -
Burt Bacharach, Hal David, and Barney Williams, made famous by the Shirelles and the Beatles

It's not the way you smile that touched my heart
It's not the way you kiss that tears me apart

But how many many many nights go by
I sit alone at home and cry over you
What can I do
Can't help myself
Cause baby it's you
Baby it's you

You should hear what they say about you (cheat, cheat)
They say, they say you never never ever been true (cheat, cheat)

Whoa, it doesn't matter what they say
I know I'm gonna love you any old way
What can I do, then it's true
Don't want nobody, nobody
Cause baby it's you
Baby it's you

Whoa, it doesn't matter what they say
I know I'm gonna love you any old way
What can I do, then it's true
Don't want nobody, nobody
Cause baby it's you
Baby it's you
Don't leave me all alone
I leave you with this gem... (Sapphires? geddit?)
"Marriage is based on the theory that when man discovers a brand of beer exactly to his taste he should at once throw up his job and go work in the brewery."George Jean Nathan (1882 - 1958)


UPDATE 10/03/07
Seems like there may be a new girl band called The Sapphires that got their break by singing this song for the ad... I still have to find their website and confirm this... the song sounds just like the Shirelles version though. My suspicions are still not satisfied that this was not a rippoff of the Shirelles. It has been done before... anyone remember those two dweebs called Milli Vanilli that won a Grammy and then lost it because they mimed the words other people sang? I still smell lutekefisk and not beer... by the way... SABMiller owns the Peroni brand now... more reason to drink Windhoek, a real beer!

No comments: