Tuesday, November 13, 2007

In the name of the Father

I was reading on another blog about an action that Christians should become involved in to voice their displeasure at the comments of a columnist in a Sunday paper, the blogger was calling for a boycott of the paper in question, that got me thinking of what we as Christians sometimes get ourselves involved in in the name of the Father.
We Christians must be aware of the faults of the past so that we do not repeat history. The Catholic Church had the inquisition, Martin Luther was antisemitic, wars were fought in the name of The Father... all those things were done because they lost sight of the love of God.
All our actions should be tested against what Jesus taught when he said in John 13 and 15, especially these verses; John 13:33-35 KJV)
33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. 35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Once again I am struck that Jesus stresses being like children, children seem to grasp the concepts of this love so much easier than grownups. We want to complicate what God wants to keep simple. I want to be childlike when I walk with God, that way I will not let my will interfere with what he wants to teach me.
Coming back...
Our actions should always be to apply this simple guide, how would we like to be treated in the situation? This principle is the basis of our walk in this world, if we cannot do it with the love of God then we should rather turn away and go and pray about the situation. For what we see with our eyes can be changed by closing them in prayer. The fight should be fought in the spiritual realm. That is the true power we have to change things that are wrong in this world.
Ephesians 6:11-13(KJV)
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

So when faced with a situation let us rather turn the cheek and put on God's armour and prepare for battle... on our knees and handing it over to our Father, God himself. Who then can be against us?
"We grow because we struggle, we learn and overcome."

R. C. Allen

No comments: