Wednesday, July 14, 2004

POEtry in motion and other esoteric thoughts

Jewel is back from the mountain kingdom, I am so glad because it is not my favourite road, especially at night... One less thing to worry about. Might just get a coffee break and a visit to the Volksblad Art Festival slotted in before the weekend, campus is a hive of activity with all sorts of stalls and of course all the diffrent artists performing all over the place... parking is non existent. Not that it worries me, after almost 3 months being Carlos (read Car Less) my fitness has escalated, my BP was 120/78 last week when I donated blood... I am glad that it has normalized with just a bit of exercise and the right diet.
Must get that sister's name, she is magic with a needle, less than a pinprick. I just wish they could make the finger prick less painfull! At least the great cookies make up for the discomfort.

Been contemplating commenting about a singer that has facinated me for a while now. Annie Decatur Danielewski otherwise known as
POE.
Named for a halloween costume based on an Edgar Allan Poe short story, Poe gained a contract with Atlantic during the boom of female singer/songwriters during the mid-'90s. Originally from New York City, she moved around frequently with her parents -- a director and an actress -- but returned to New York at the age of 16 when they divorced. Poe enrolled at Princeton, and played in a band during her time there. Signed to Atlantic in 1994, she recorded an album with several producers and co-writers and released Hello the following year. The single "Angry Johnny" pushed Hello into the album charts, and during 1996 Poe supported Lenny Kravitz with a band including guitarist Darius Adkins, drummer Dan Jones, bassist Toby Skard and cellist Cameron Stone and headlined several tours of her own. Five years after her critical debut, Poe returned with Haunted, an album rhythmically adjacent to her brother, Mark Z. Danielewski's novel House of Leaves. - John Bush
Discogs
As I only posess two of her songs at present I cannot do a proper assesment but this is all based on the lyrics of Hello and Haunted, the latter being a very poinaint peice.

Haunted - Poe

Ba da pa pa ba da pa pa...
Come here
Pretty please
Can you tell me where I am
You won't you say something
I need to get my bearings
I'm lost
And the shadows keep on changing

And I'm haunted
By the lives that I have loved
And actions I have hated
I'm haunted
By the lives that wove the web
Inside my haunted head

Ba da pa pa ba da pa pa...

Don't cry,
There's always a way
Here in November in this house of leaves
We'll pray
Please, I know it's hard to believe
To see a perfect forest
Through so many splintered trees
You and me
And these shadows keep on changing

And I'm haunted
By the lives that I have loved
And actions I have hated
I'm haunted
By the promises I've made
And others I have broken
I'm haunted
By the lives that wove the web
Inside my haunted head

Hallways... always

I'll always want you
I'll always need you
I'll always love you

And I will always miss you

Ba da pa pa ba da pa pa...

Come here
No I won't say please
One more look at the ghost
Before I'm gonna make it leave
Come here
I've got the pieces here
Time to gather up the splinters
Build a casket for my tears

I'm haunted
(By the lives that I have loved)
I'm haun
I'm haunted
By the hallways in this tiny room
The echos there of me and you
The voices that are carrying this tune

Ba da pa pa...

Father :
What is it Annie?

Daughter :
You think I'll cry? I won't cry!
My heart will break before I cry!
I will go mad.

I placed the whole song because one has to take it in as a whole. Stunning. Another singer on my to buy list.

Staying with singers, one of my all time fav's is
Belinda Carlisle and the rest of the gang the Go-Go's, they make great music, just a pity that most music shops do not have a clue about them. My favourite Belinda songs must be Little black book and Leave a light on, both have great rythm.

Something that facinates me is the universe and all its beauty, we are living in a wonderful age when one considers that we are discovering new facts almost daily. My daily fix on matters astrophysics can be found on
APOD, the Saturn rings picture of 12/07 is particularly beautifull. Facinating to see the wave motions caused by the small moons inside the ring zone, poetry in motion.

To end off, I found some excelent advice on life at
CODA... Thanks! Herewith #2.
**You need only two tools. WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.**

No comments: