Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Smile... your friends may see you

Boy, am I glad I followed Terry Pratchett's advice "Always wear completely clean underwear every day because you never know when you're going to be knocked down and killed by a runaway horse and if people found you had unsatisfactory underwear on, you'd die of shame." I had clean underwear on as I lay groaning under my bike as at least two familiar faces drove past... and promptly spread the word of my misfortune...
As KatieB has so kindly posted I was involved in a road accident last Friday afternoon around 16h40. It sounds much worse than what really happened, had a slight skid, caused by diesel I suspect, corrected the slide, braked some more and then ran out of road and basically fell off the bike when the curb twisted the front wheel as the bike stopped, momentum and the weight of the bike did the rest. Damage to the bike is similar to a fall from standstill, damage to me is now fixed with five screws and a plate. Once again I proved that wearing good protective gear is essential, now if I had only bought those knee guards!
To those Samaritans that helped me by first getting the bike off me, then taking me and the bike home I just want to say thanks... I will pass it forward one day. We often hear how cynical and jaded people seem to be nowadays but ever since I started looking at life in a positive way I keep having amazing people cross my path, not always in pleasant circumstances but always proving to me that there are still many hidden Angels amongst us.
I have also received so may get well soon wishes that based on that alone I will be walking in a week! Personally I believe that recovery from any surgery or accident is 30% gritting teeth and sweat followed by 70% attitude. A big plus is having a good support team, in my case I have an amazing one headed by the best in the business, I mean He has been looking after me since before I was even born! Then there are my friends and family, you guys are great. Especially my kids, stepping up to the plate and looking after Dad for a change and doing it with a smile, then there is KatieB... an Angel disguised as best friend...

Funny how today's Rockwood cartoon is relative to my recent accident as well, there is a Screaming Tangerine playlist hidden in the "MetaMucil presents - 2007 Hip Replacement tour" part... maybe some time later this week. I have a lot of time on my hands...
Oh I think I know who was behind my accident, found it as I was looking for a quote on skids...
"1. At the rise of the hand of the policeman, stop rapidly. Do not pass him or otherwise disrespect him.
2. If pedestrian obstacle your path, tootle horn melodiously. If he continue to obstacle, tootle horn vigorously and utter vocal warning such as "Hi, Hi."[...]
5. Beware of greasy corner where lurk skid demon. Cease step on, approach slowly, round cautiously, resume step on gradually." from an official Japanese guide for English-speaking drivers, 1936

No comments: